Canada has a robust education system for international students who seek an opportunity to study in a developed country. The academic institutions in Canada provide degrees as prestigious as that of the US, UK, and Australia with some amazing scholarships for Nepalese students in Canada.
Did you know?
In 2019, around 1672 Nepali students travelled to Canada to pursue their higher studies.
So, have you decided to study in Canada, but postponed your study abroad dreams due to financial constraints? Then this is an informative read for you! The Canadian Government and Universities offer a wide range of scholarship options to Nepali students. Here are the top 14 scholarships for Nepalese students in Canada.
1)Lakehead University Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships
The University of Lakehead offers the undergraduate Entrance Scholarships to non-Canadian students. Students from any part of the world can apply to this scholarship for an undergraduate degree. Based on the academic excellence of the applicant, the scholarship amount is granted.
students with 90%+ marks are eligible for an amount up to 30,000 Canadian Dollars; meanwhile, the students with academic excellence between 80.0% - 89.9% are eligible for 20,000 Canadian dollars.
- An applicant should have an excellent academic record and interpersonal skills.
- Applicants must not hold other scholarships while applying for the UES Scholarship.
2)Brock University Brock Scholars Award
Brock Scholar Award is offered to international students who have no previous post-secondary experience. This scholarship is allocated to meritorious students each year. The applications are reviewed soon after the final grades are submitted. Once the average marks allotted to the scholarship fall under your grades, the scholarship is allocated.
The minimum eligible mark to apply for this scholarship is 80%.
3)Ontario Trillium Scholarships for Nepalese students in Canada
The Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) is designed by Western University to bring top-notch master graduates across the world to pursue PhD studies in Canada. Any international students matching the eligibility criteria can apply for this scholarship. The Graduate Chair of the admitting program will source qualified international applicant to avail of this scholarship. Through this scholarship, one can receive $40,000 each year until the course tenure.
- An applicant must be an international student at the time of processing the application.
- Applicants must have excellent research potential, along with an academic record of 80%.
4)Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships for Nepalese students in Canada (CGS)
This scholarship is provided by the Canadian Government to bring top-notch students to Canada from all over the world. The students of Doctoral degree (health research), natural science, humanities, engineering, and social science are eligible for this scholarship.
A total of 167 scholarships are awarded annually under the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. The eligible recipient of this scholarship can receive $50,000/year for up to 3 years (based on the university).
5)UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award
The University of British Columbia offers this scholarship for international students in Canada who demonstrates involvement & achievements in student affairs, community service, sports, and leadership skills.
- Applicant must be an international student
- Applicant must be applying for the first undergraduate degree
- Applicant must prove superior academic achievement (at least an A grade on average or equivalent standard)
- English Language Proficiency Proof:
a)For TOEFL: Overall score: 90; Reading: 22; Listening: 22; Writing: 21; and Speaking: 21.
b)IELTS: 6.5 not less than 6.0
c)PTE: Overall score: 65 not less than 60
An international student will receive complete financial support, including tuition fees, living costs, and other academic expenses.
6)Lester B. Pearson Scholarship for Nepalese students
The University of Toronto offers this scholarship for all international students with exceptional academic excellence. An eligible student receives complete financial support, including books, tuition fees, residence support until the course completion. Under this scholarship, each year, 37 students are enrolled for each undergraduate degree.
- Any international student with a study permit
- Creative thinker committed to community
- An achiever in academic and creative pursuits
- Enthusiastic about learning and intellectual exploration
- Proven leadership skills (school/community)
7)Humber International Entrance Scholarships for Nepalese students in Canada
Focused on all international students who want to pursue an undergraduate degree in any field, this scholarship is offered by Humber College. Since it is a renewable scholarship, the respective student must maintain a minimum of 75% of academic excellence to retain the award every year.
Applications are considered based on the statement of purpose and academic excellence (GPA 75% and 6.5+ IELTS).
8)FINCAD Women in Finance Scholarship
A unique scholarship for international students in Canada to encourage women to pursue graduate-level studies. The total worth of this scholarship is around 10,000 USD, including the complete financial support until the course completion.
Women belonging to any age group and citizenship are eligible for this scholarship (in all Canadian Universities)
The Canadian Government filters the application based on merit and awards the deserving candidates.
9)UBC Graduate Global leadership scholarship for Nepalese students - Developing countries
The University of British Columbia in Vancouver offers this scholarship for international students from developing countries. This scholarship is designed especially for PhD or DMA programs. The total grant of this scholarship is $18,200/year, which covers your complete tuition fees.
- An international student must hold a study permit at the beginning of the fellowship funding period
- To be a citizen of a developing country
- To demonstrate leadership in development work and humanitarian in the home country
- Students funded with any third-party sponsorship are still eligible to apply for the UBC scholarship, but the applicant’s UBC funding will get reduced proportionally to the external funding.
10)York University International Students Scholarships
Any international student can obtain this York International Student Scholarship for a full-time undergraduate degree. The total worth of this scholarship is between $80,000 and $140,000 based on the university’s regulations.
- An applicant must be an international student who is required to have a Study Permit.
- Must have an excellent academic record with a minimum “A” equivalent or average
- Must have demonstrated leadership in the home country through community services or excelled in the areas of individual achievement, sports, or arts.
11)Royal Roads University Entrance Award/Bursary
The Royal Roads University offers scholarships to international students who have either excelled in their academics or having vast knowledge in entrepreneurship, conflict analysis and sustainable development. This award is also granted to international students who have volunteered in community involvement in their home country. The purpose of this scholarship is to ensure financial aid to enrolling in RRU university.
An applicant should describe why he/she is eligible to apply for this scholarship in a one-page essay(with application).
Based on the panel member’s discussion, this scholarship will be awarded to international students($2,000, $5,000, or $10,000). In addition to this, for each quarter, one $10,000 award is offered to a student in recognition of the university's values of diversity and change-making.
12)PEO International Peace Scholarships for international students(Women)
PEO International Peace Scholarship is the initiative of the Canadian & US Government aimed at empowering women with better academic opportunities in masters or Ph.D. courses (in any field). PEO offers scholarships to women whose education has been hindered due to the lack of financial support.
The scholarship is primarily based upon financial need; but, this scholarship for Nepalese students is not intended to cover personal expenses or entire academic expenses. While applying, an applicant is required to provide proof for additional financial aid to meet their estimated living costs.
Additional financial resources may include tuition waivers, teaching assistantships, and study grants.
- An applicant who is a citizen of the United States or Canada is not eligible.
- Scholarships are not provided for internships, research, or practical training unless it is combined with the coursework you have applied for in the respective university.
The total worth of this scholarship is around $12,500.
13)University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
The University of Manitoba offers graduate fellowship scholarships to all international students who want to enroll in a full-time graduate degree except MBA and Medicine field. This scholarship is awarded to international students who have excellent academic records.
- An applicant should have a minimum GPA of 3.75 at a government recognized university on a Graduate Diploma, Bachelor, Masters, or Doctoral degree.
The grant of this scholarship is approximately $14,000 for a masters degree & $18,000 for PhD for a year.
14)Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship
A Canadian Government initiative, Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship, is offered by all recognized Canadian Universities, providing 15 scholarships per year for international students who want to enrol PhD research programs (fulltime).
At the time of application:
- An Applicant’s doctoral work must relate to any of the central themes like Human Rights, Citizenship, and Natural Environment.
- Applicants who are foreign nationals or permanent residents must be enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian university/institution
An international student who is eligible for Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship can avail the following:
- Membership in a community of Mentors, Scholars, and leaders in their respective sectors and disciplines
- Up to $40,000/year for 3 years to cover reasonable living expenses and tuition fees.
- Up to $20,000/year for 3 years, as a travel and research allowance.